What is on my todo list on the software?

JuKu
Site Admin

What is on my todo list on the software?

Post by JuKu »

This has been asked several times, so I'll write the answer to here as well. So, what are my near term plans for the software? Bug fixes will get priority over new features, but here is my new stuff todo list, before feedback from this post, in the order of importance:

- I am adding functions to the software, so I didn't get to do a stable public release during the weekend, as I hoped. Once the new functions are stable (or at least don't interfere with the current functionality so that the interface to those can be hidden without ill effects), the very next release will have support to 32mm tapes as well as yet another attempt to have a robust camera startup routine that is stable on all Windows and .NET versions.

- Then, support for tape definitions not on the built in list, custom trays, feeders, trays and part jigs. I anticipate that IC placement will greatly improve when the pickup location can be accurately defined.

- Placed / not yet placed information to jobs, as well as option to continue on error and making a list of failed components, if any.

- Measure everything at the start of a job. This way, you can stay at the machine until it has all the the info a job needs and then walk away knowing, that a job will not fail in the middle to a failed measurement.

- The "everything visible" style UI was clear (imo) when the software was released but is getting more and more cluttered when new functions are added. It needs a rearrangement, most likely resulting to a traditional menu bar and setup screens.

- Some folks have machines with the capability of automated nozzle change, with different implementations. (I don't, yet.) These should somehow be supported by the software. This has its own discussion thread here: http://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=290

---

Feel free to comment, add your wishes etc!
Pixopax

Re: What is on my todo list on the software?

Post by Pixopax »

At my machine, your version of the software did not run properly mainly because of the cameras, the detection was not good, also, cams locked up often. So maybe it would be a good idea to fix that first.
Also, it would be nice to have both cameras visible in a separate window, as in the rmod-fork, you often need to see them.
At least the downcam always visible would be nice to have.

Next thing is the precision, your version was not precise enough for me, 0603 were often too much off the pads.
I do not know why, but the rmod fork is much better there, hits the spot exactly. Karl added the Kabsch-Algorithm there, maybe that is the reason?

Your idea of calculation of a job is perfect, that is what I miss, we need to be sure that everything is there before a job is started.

Please add also a checkbox where one can disable the needle calibration.

And last one: Make a consistent setup-wizard, where one can setup all things in the correct order, add text what is happening, what the software expects the user to do.
mrandt

Post by mrandt »

Hi Juha,

thanks for pointing out your roadmap.

If I were to write a wish list for features for the next version(s) it would probably be the following:

1) correction of orientation and placement position (offset correction) using upfacing camera; especially for placing ICs, BGA and larger parts

=> this is by far the most wanted feature :-)

2) support edge (-> center) and rotation detection before pickup using downfacing camera and compensate during placement; would particularly help with QFN packages

3) implement simple "manual" teach first and last part center to setup component strips in holder / strip feeders where sprocket holes are not visible, maybe support part detection via pattern matching as in rmod

4) Port auto calibration for camera-pixel ratio from rmod - that is really helpful and much easier than using rulers for calibration

5) Port and enhance camera settings; especially exposure override / lock, image resolution (image scaling) and view port (image cropping)

6) Support vacuum sensor for pick detection

7) Visually inspect placement locations using downfacing camera before and after placement to ensure parts got placed correctly (fallback if no vacuum sensor)

8) Make a wizard to easily (re)run necessary calibration after turning off power or changing needle, as discussed here:
http://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... =100#p1054

9) enforce home and position confidence to avoid crashes as described here:
https://github.com/jkuusama/LitePlacer-ver2/issues/8

10) support auto tool change (as discussed elsewhere)

11) support feeders (fixed pickup location) and maybe interface to auto feeders (sort of an customizable API)

Cheers
Malte
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

good points, and noted.