Simplifying Parts / Components Setup

mrandt

Simplifying Parts / Components Setup

Post by mrandt »

Hey everyone,

Juha asked in another thread:
Hi Malte,

Do you have any ideas how to make parts setup easier (maybe in another thread)?
To me, physically putting the parts on table, setting up the parts in software, checking orientation / aligmnent takes a significant amount of time. I'd say of a regular PnP job, it cost about 80-90% of time.

Automatic feeders would be the most effective solution; but commercial ones are expensive (I think pneumatic Yamaha CL is about the cheapest but still at about $ 60-80 per Feeder) and a reliable DIY auto-feeder has yet to be developed. There have been many promising ideas here and in other PnP forums (especially OpenPNP) - but nothing that is both usable and cost effective.

Also, for prototypes I often don't buy full reels but rather cut strips - so it is still about making it easier to use those.

My modular tape holders already helped over glueing everything to the table using double-sided tape:
http://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=153

I am still looking forward to John's feeder - his ingenious clamping mechanism is superior to my simple approach:
http://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=399

If I had a bunch of John's feeders, they would all be aligned nice and square (using the holder bars) and in a predefined pattern (2 or 4mm grid).

I would probably have a dedicated strip holder per component type, at least for the components I use on multiple boards.

This would allow me to put a small QR code with a unique ID on these feeders. I envision the software to "know" these codes. Basically ID 123 means resistor, 0603, 100k, 125mW...

So, for a new job, the machine could scan the possible feeder locations for known components and automagically "connect" them to the job.

As first sprocket hole position could also be calculated, the strip location could be found without user intervention.

What do others think?

Cheers
Malte
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Simplifying Parts / Components Setup

Post by JuKu »

Even without QR codes, the holders would be very helpful. You (now) need keep track what parts are on what holder. I could easily add a comment field to the tape definitions, so you can do the bookkeeping there. When running a job, you just associate the part and the holder. The software could try to do that automatically, by matching the part value and the comment?
mrandt

Post by mrandt »

I guess that would help.

In OpenPNP, feeders are abstracted from parts - so you define a feeder including location in one place, and map components in another. I wonder if that level of abstraction would also make sense in LitePlacer.

What is truly helpful in OpenPNP is the ability to build and grow your component library. By matching (and reusing) your part numbers in Eagle or other ECAD, further setup time can be reduced.
Timbosaurus

Post by Timbosaurus »

I too, am interested to see the suggestions here, because the parts setup time is the one thing preventing me from using the liteplacer more often, in fact, some time I simply dread getting it up and running because of the component setup.

The machine is great, and performs like a dream, but I can hand place a batch (4) in the time it takes to setup the strips, and around 10 is the break even point. For the one/two off components on each board, i dont bother to lay a strip down each time, and resort to hand placing anyway. I still have issues from time to time with reliable adhesion to the mdf, which can quickly bounce and unload half a strip of components on the table. Then there is also what to do with any over-peeled strips after they're done. When the qty reaches 25ish i outsource, so it really is a small window of opportunity for the liteplacer at the moment.

Some of these I could certainly improve with my setup, but im waiting for the time to do more of a clean kill, and integrate feeders.

I would be happy even if i was able to walk up with a new board and load just the passives etc (at $5-10 a reel, there is no reason not to buy a whole reel).