Sticking part tapes to table - idea

Covert

Sticking part tapes to table - idea

Post by Covert »

I'm looking at ways to save more time while operating this machine. One thing I want to do is reduce table setup times. I my research I have found "Re-mountable" glues (think glue on the back of a post-it note). I thinking to have 2 parts "Boards" that are interchangeable and I can have a second part board set up will the machine is running and just swap them out with a fresh PCB once the machine it done with it's last job. I place about 400 PPH with 600 parts total per panel. I then loose machine time setting up the parts bed.

Two I am going to try are "V2 VELLUM SPRAY" and "Scotch Repositionable Glue stick"

Has anyone tried these types of glues with the Liteplacer ?
n6xb

Re: Sticking part tapes to table - idea

Post by n6xb »

I have placed 10s of thousands of parts on various PCBs.

I have had the best luck using Scotch Double Sided Permanent Tape. It comes on a yellow spool. It holds the tapes down well and also makes it easy to remove tapes for replacing. :)
dmwahl

Post by dmwahl »

n6xb wrote:I have had the best luck using Scotch Double Sided Permanent Tape. It comes on a yellow spool. It holds the tapes down well and also makes it easy to remove tapes for replacing. :)
What is your work surface made of? ESD mat, metal, etc?
Covert

Post by Covert »

I tried 3 different brands of Repositionable spray. All but one was unusable.

3M™ Repositionable 75 Spray is absolute great. I mean a big time saver. It's a bit expensive compared to the other ones but it works great. Also most electronic parts suppliers seem to sell it as well.

So I drew up a parts template with photoshop and laminated it. I then spray the top side liberally and the bottom side just light to help hold on the table.

I can easily stick the part tapes to the template and remove tapes when done to do it all again.

I also re-wrote some of the calibrate software to auto-calibrate the tapes. It looks for the first hole and then looks for a hole before the first one in case I didn't put the tape in the exact same spot as the last time. It also looks for the next hole to get a starting angle. After the 3rd part on the tape it re-calculates the tape angle based on the first and last holes. This seems to deal well with slightly curved tapes. I set about 40 tapes on every build. These steps have saved me heaps of time.