accuracy question

Raulg

accuracy question

Post by Raulg »

Hello,

Can you made some statement about accuracy?, we are looking for a pick and place to place optical windows over image sensors with an accuracy of 100 microns or better. we have just read that the machine could place 0402 reliable, but not sure if that means better than 100 microns placement accuracy,

other specs, as tray for components and low volumen are a perfect mach for our application.

thanks for your support
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: accuracy question

Post by JuKu »

I’m not currently with my machine. Once I get back, I will try to do some evaluations. In general, 100u is 0.1mm, which about the achievable real world accuracy.

The motors have 0.1mm step size (40mm travel, 400 steps per revolution). The controller has up to 8x microstepping. When I command the machine to move in 0.01 increments by go back, return to 0.01mm further, one command doesn’t cause notable position change, but one or two do. The basic moves are repeable to better than 0.05mm: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1GwgL9CyRA

The camera pixel size depends on how high you mount it and what resolution do you use, but generally, one pixel will represent 0.01-0.02mm distance. The optical measurement is good to 0.5-1.5 pixels. Generally, you use optical measurement on locating the board, and locating the part. If enabled, you have used optical measurement in calibrating nozzle runout as well.

All error sources add up. Fortunately, seldom everything to same direction, but they do increase the “noise” in the system.
Robban

Post by Robban »

Hi,

I am interesting in mounting a home-made component approximately of size 0201. I see that this is supposedly below spec, but has anyone tried it? It looks on the below conversation that it could be possible with a bit of work.

Thanks in advance for any comment.
Robban
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

I tried it on earlier version of the machine: https://liteplacer.com/experiments-with-0201-resistors/. I’m not sure if up looking camera assisted placement would improve the accuracy, but the current version has a problem that it uses Panasonic CP40 series nozzles. The smallest is still too large for 0201’s. A modified nozzle (maybe squeeze the tip?) might work, but I haven’t tried that. As mentioned, a better designed footprint might also help, so that the self-alignment on reflow would have a bigger than normal effect.