Cameras keep getting disconnected

Knas

Cameras keep getting disconnected

Post by Knas »

Hello, i'm having an issue in that the cameras shipped with the liteplacer keeps disconnecting. I'm thinking it's a hardware problem as it appears on both windows & linux, using either liteplacer or openpnp, using two different laptops - anyone else experiencing this? It's a huge headache as it keeps crashing the software(s) and thus essentially renders my pnp inoperable. I'm thinking of maybe just upgrading to the pen cameras but i'm worried about spending the money if there's something else going on...
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Cameras keep getting disconnected

Post by JuKu »

Knas wrote:Hello, i'm having an issue in that the cameras shipped with the liteplacer keeps disconnecting. I'm thinking it's a hardware problem as it appears on both windows & linux, using either liteplacer or openpnp, using two different laptops -
This is indeed a serious problem. Do you have an idea if it is both cameras or only one of them? Or maybe, a faulty camera could make both of them to misbehave? And you are right, your experiments show that this is a problem with the camera hardware or firmware. I have not received other reports on this, so I hope it is only one of the cameras that is physically broken. (If not, I have a much more serious issue in my hands.) Btw, is one of them hotter than the other, either at the camera itself or at the connector?
I'm thinking of maybe just upgrading to the pen cameras but i'm worried about spending the money if there's something else going on...
I would of course replace the faulty camera(s), but I only have the same type that you already have. If the issue is the same with all of the cameras, replacing them would not solve anything and will take some shipping time. If you can get suitable replacement locally (on my dime, of course), it might be a faster solution. Please send me a email about what you want to do.
Knas

Post by Knas »

So, it's quite odd how it works and i can't say whether it's just one or both. Basically the symptoms are that half the time one or both of the cameras won't give a picture at startup and i'll have to reinitialize them, this often takes two tries as it somehow doesn't seem to be able to do it the first time. The other issue is that whenever switching cameras, the switch often doesn't work and the software crashes. A good example is after visual homing, trying to calibrate the needle - and the up camera won't start. So i go back to the camera preferences and reinitialize the camera (twice otherwise nothing) and if i'm lucky, it won't go back to the down camera when i switch to the tab with the calibrate needle button. This often takes 5-6 tries before it works. I also seem to generally have a lot of crashes that are related to various video functions, i can find out where exactly if it'd be helpful.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

Odd indeed. You tried with other computers, so it is not computer specific like USB connections etc - Unless you are running the cameras trough a hub with bad connections or cabling? Using OpenPnP pretty much rules out software, which leaves us with the cameras only. I have had no other reports on faulty cameras, so you would be extremely unlucky to have two broken ones. I can't see how one broken camera could prevent the other from connecting, but I'm no USB expert.

If you are using a hub, please try to eliminate that. And as said, I'll replace the cameras, but they would be the same type that you already have. You mentioned about upgrading the cameras, so if that is the route you would like to go, I'm fine with that as well. Just let me know how you would want to solve this!
Knas

Post by Knas »

So, i believe it must indeed have been the cameras. I replaced one of them with a webcam and it worked a little better, after i replaced the other one too it seems to be entirely stable after a few hours of testing. My guess is that the clunky USB connectors used on the endoscopes does not like to be jostled at all, and since i'm using a laptop they get moved around a lot more than they would with a stationary computer. Indeed, after replacing both cameras i tried using one of the endoscopes for something else and i noticed the usb connector was cracked. It's also possible that the long leads on the endoscopes could generate a less stable signal, especially with a laptop that might be more heavy on USB power management.
RMM

Post by RMM »

I also had this problem with the included cameras. Often times I would have to run a needle calibration twice for the camera to switch over. I replaced them both and haven't had any more problems.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

I've had more reports like this recently. I can't say if it is because of the latest batch of cameras I got or just because there are more users. It has been frustrating trying to solve, as all four computers I have work fine. I random test a few cameras from each shipments. Still, a small fraction of Windows have issues.

Yet another attempt to get this solved for good: I uploaded new software today, which can keep both cameras running, handling two video streams internally. If your computer can start two streams and keep them on, this should solve the issues. But the "if" is another possibly new source of issues... We'll see.

Please report if this solves or creates any problems!
mucek

Post by mucek »

Cameras in last batch are quite bad quality: I had another issue: when moving the cable, whole camera's interior is slightly moving (enough to have nice error in camera calibration :) ). This can simply be fixed with some thermal glue - fixing the cable from the outside so it sits "still" in the camera. Maybe you have an "extended" version of my issue, where some cable is loosing connection ...

Regards,
G
radbot

Post by radbot »

We also have this problem. Unfortunately, we deal with this issue several times per day. Breaks our concentration, and eats up a lot of time. My partner wants to solder the usb connection to the powered hub. He wrote a little script to prevent several of the steps necessary to get the cameras reconnected. We can put it on github if others need it.
This problem is on multiple computers, windows version, and usb hubs.
Can someone recommend what cameras they purchased?
Aperture control would be nice.
I would love to see pictures of the new camera mounted.
We have a 3d printer to make a mount for the new camera if we must.
Thanks! @radbot
mucek

Post by mucek »

I ended up using C270 as top and Andonstar as bottom cam.
Original cameras did not work well, even used as bottom cam caused ztoubles due to disconnecting issues.

Regards, g