Needles size vs package...

flying_fred

Needles size vs package...

Post by flying_fred »

Hi again,

on that small board I spoke about there are regions packed with 0402 components (resistors and ceramics, so no same height) and I anticipate some difficulties with needle to components interference:
* too small there might be some pb with component release : with the purple needle the 0402s almost always stick to the needle. Ok no solder paste as these are the first attempts, but still...
* too big, it might interfere with its previously placed neighbourg (board density is OK for industrial P&P machines).

So I'd like to know what your experience is and which needle do you use/recommend for which components size. (have found no info on this)

Any other word of wisdom about this is welcomed too.

Thanks,
Fred
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Needles size vs package...

Post by JuKu »

In real use, the stickiness of the paste releases the parts. (For experimenting, I often use a color laser printed image of the circuit board. I have the equivalent of post-it glue in a spray can; I attach the paper to a black PCB with that and spray glue on the top side as well to simulate paste stickiness.)

I use as big nozzle as possible as I can for best vacuum grip, but my boards, although sometimes dense, are not dense enough to get issues from nearby parts.