Nozzle height for needle calibration ?

Covert

Nozzle height for needle calibration ?

Post by Covert »

Where do I set the nozzle height for the needle calibration ? I'm starting to think it was a feature only in the rmod version.
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Nozzle height for needle calibration ?

Post by JuKu »

> I'm starting to think it was a feature only in the rmod version.

I'm not that familiar with rmod. The standard software uses same height for all nozzles; after all, they are the same height and besides, the pickup and placement Z are measured (or set manually) separately for each tape, so it would not matter anyway.
Covert

Post by Covert »

I meant the nozzle height the machines moves to when taking it to the upward facing camera.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

Ok. This is hard coded. It is 0.5mm (my guess for average small component height) above PCB surface level. It doesn't make sense to adjust it until there is a way to adjust the uplooking camera so that we know it is looking directly up, with good precision.

[I've been thinking of something like Logitech 270 with trimmable base as the uplooking camera and a way to tune it perfectly vertical would make it possible to make correction in software so that the Z axis moves directly up and down. That would be a good upgrade - but if we get that, the calibration level setting still doesn't make sense:). Now it would do no good, then it won't be needed.]
mrandt

Post by mrandt »

I recommend you align PCB surface, parts, strip holders, feeders, trays etc. all at Same Z-level.

Otherwise you will run into trouble with the cameras. Our cameras suffer from projection errors; objects nearer appear bigger, objects further away smaller. So the pixel-to-mm calibration is only valid for a specific distance from camera. Same goes for focus; Image is only sharp at one given viewing distance.

So unless you have expensive, telecentric lenses and wide-range or auto focus; you would not want to use a different Z-level.

To a certain extent Juha's Software compensates this by "homing in" on marks, e.g. in the fiducial detection, until the camera is centered above them. For this iterative process, the pixel-distance ratio is not as important.

However tilted camera axis becomes yet another issue, as Juha mentioned.

Bottomline: Lowering the nozzle to a Z-level slightly above the PCB surface makes sense, I have Not seen a use case for using another height.

Once we get into visual Offset / Rotation correction per part (if ever) we could also deternine the best Z-level depending on the height of the given part - which would be part height above PCB surface so the pads of the part are in focus and at the one Level for which we calibrated px-to-mm... But that is a while different Story ;-)