Compute stick

dmwahl

Compute stick

Post by dmwahl »

Has anyone tried using one of the Intel compute sticks (or similar) to drive the liteplacer? I don't want to run it off my laptop long term, and it doesn't seem like the hardware requirements are too steep. I'm looking at the CS125 compute stick, which has a quad-core Atom Z8300 cpu, 2GB ram, and 32GB SSD.
mawa

Re: Compute stick

Post by mawa »

If you want liteplacer performance you need a powerful video / graphics hardware. Check that before you invest time and money.
best regards
Manfred
dmwahl

Post by dmwahl »

Not according to Juha, see http://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... t=79&p=425. He mentions nothing about powerful graphics hardware. I'm not too worried about a few seconds extra per part if it just takes longer to process the camera images, if I wanted a high end pick and place machine I wouldn't have bought a liteplacer.
mawa

Post by mawa »

If you look at what OpenPnP does for visually aligning and rotating parts this takes more than half a dozen complex OpenCV graphics operations that optionally use video graphics hardware (EmguCV).

So yes, The software will run on less powerful PC. Just try it!

But keep in mind that even then the application will need several hundreds of megabyte RAM to run smoothly.
best regards
Manfred