No Go Zones when using Nozzle Changer

mawa

No Go Zones when using Nozzle Changer

Post by mawa »

I just took a look at Juhas new picture of the nozzle holder mounted onto the table.

Wherever you place the changer it could be in the path of the nozzle if the nozzle is not far enough retracted up.
Either when you are jogging or are moving to a stored location.

For example I currently have set the park position to the rear left machine border. Starting at the home location the nozzle changer would be along the path.

To safely move above the holder with a nozzle attached to the nozzle holder at the end of the tube you have to go far up and even then have only approx. 10mm free space above the screws of the nozzle changer assembly if you neglect the shade guard protection height.

Therefore it may be a good security measure to have a kind of "No Go Zone" mechanism in the software by checking the trajectory of the nozzle against a 3D off limits volume list before issuing that movement command. The software could even automatically compute an alternate route preventing a collision or at least move to hight Z level if that proves to be safe.

In the past months I had some nasty bent needles running into the edge of the camera hole or one of the 3D printed tape holders.

I don't want to experience the new very solid nozzle holder colliding with the nozzle changer.

@ Juha: What do you thing of this issue as you have had such crashes as you wrote?
best regards
Manfred
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: No Go Zones when using Nozzle Changer

Post by JuKu »

No-go zones would be nice, but difficult to implement safely. A better solution is to reposition the Z limit switch so, that the nozzle can travel over the holder.
Timbosaurus

Re: No Go Zones when using Nozzle Changer

Post by Timbosaurus »

Initially my z limit switch was a bit high (triggered early), and as such, even if the nozzle was up it would have been able to crash into the holder (specifically the nuts), but I thought I'd be able to avoid crashes by being careful.

needless to say, I had a few close calls and soft crashes (mainly when travelling from a nozzle change to the upfacing camera location), so as Juha suggested, I have re-positioned the z limit switch so at least it can travel safely (as long as it is raised).

I'm still a tad nervous at times (including when tuning the nozzle change values), so will be asking if I can purchase a spare adapter (and maybe a spare tube as well).