CorrectedPosition() call, needle not calibrated.

WayOutWest

CorrectedPosition() call, needle not calibrated.

Post by WayOutWest »

I get this error message whenever I try to "pickup this" or "needle to cam".

I have already done the needle calibration.

What is wrong here?
- Adam
mrandt

Re: CorrectedPosition() call, needle not calibrated.

Post by mrandt »

Hi Adam,

you will have to calibrate for "needle wobble" using the upward facing camera first.

Basically, the needle will never be perfectly straight and centered. So when A-axis rotates, the tip of it will move out of the center.

During needle calibration, the exact offset per A-axis angle will be measured and later compensated for by setting the XY coordinates of gantry accordingly.

Prereqs for successful needle calibration are working upward camera, needle height calibration, setting up camera position and configuring a filter that detects needle tip as a circle.

If you follow Juha's calibration instructions and hello world sample step by step, you should come across this.

Good luck!

Malte
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

mrandt wrote: Prereqs for successful needle calibration are working upward camera, needle height calibration, setting up camera position and configuring a filter that detects needle tip as a circle.
Oh, so the error message really means "needle height not calibrated or upward camera position not positioned or upward camera filter not configured".
If you follow Juha's calibration instructions and hello world sample step by step, you should come across this.
Unfortunately I can't follow some of the steps because I'm still waiting for parts for the up-looking camera. So I'm trying to exercise as much functionality as possible at the moment and I am forced to skip over certain steps.

I had thought that "needle to cam" would move the needle to the position indicated by the red crosshairs of the down-looking camera. It appears that "needle to cam" means "needle to upward camera". How do I move the needle to the (current) downward camera position?

Thanks,
- Adam
mrandt

Post by mrandt »

WayOutWest wrote:Oh, so the error message really means "needle height not calibrated or upward camera position not positioned or upward camera filter not configured".
Nope, it means needle wobble (rotational offset) not calibrated - which in turn requires the needle height to be calibrated and upward camera position to be set.
WayOutWest wrote:I'm still waiting for parts for the up-looking camera
Without the up-looking cam you are stuck here, I guess.
WayOutWest wrote:I had thought that "needle to cam" would move the needle to the position indicated by the red crosshairs of the down-looking camera. It appears that "needle to cam" means "needle to upward camera". How do I move the needle to the (current) downward camera position?
Yeah, the naming is misleading. I think, misunderstandings like these are the perfect example as to why we should also aim at improving the usability of the software, not only the functions. There is quite some discussion about that topic here:
http://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=93

But to address your point: You currently cannot explicitly move needle to camera position and vice versa. But what you can do is click "pick up this" and "place here" which implicitly makes the machine move the needle to the camera position - and also acutates pump and solenoid valve to hold and release a part. For this to work, you have to have camera - needle offset calibrated.

Read some additional tips on that here:
http://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

mrandt wrote: But to address your point: You currently cannot explicitly move needle to camera position and vice versa.
Wow that is surprising. That is the very first thing I wanted to do after calibrating the needle-to-down-camera offset!
mrandt wrote: But what you can do is click "pick up this" and "place here" which implicitly makes the machine move the needle to the camera position - and also acutates pump and solenoid valve to hold and release a part.
Hrm, okay, I will try that.
mrandt wrote: For this to work, you have to have camera - needle offset calibrated.
Just to be clear, you mean the down-camera-needle-offset? I have that calibrated already.
- Adam
mrandt

Post by mrandt »

WayOutWest wrote:Just to be clear, you mean the down-camera-needle-offset? I have that calibrated already.
Affirm. I meant the XY distance between down-looking camera center and needle tip, which is obviously needed to pick a component that has been centered on using that camera :)