Components not released - release time?

fgonza2

Components not released - release time?

Post by fgonza2 »

Hi, i am testing my machine by picking and placing components using the "pickup this...place here" option.

The components are picked up successfully, but then what i try to place them, they just remain there and there is still vacuum on the system. After a while it falls (~10 seconds). Electrically speaking, if i go and uncheck the "pump on" then it is released properly. Sounds like the solenoid is not turning off maybe?

Any ideas on what the issue could be? If i use the manual "vacuum on" and "pump on" options it works well. But as soon as i use the automated options ("pickup here" and "place here") it does NOT release the component successfully. let me know if any ideas

thanks
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Components not released - release time?

Post by JuKu »

When a component is not released, you should check that the vacuum is off. When vacuum is on, you should have noticeable suction at the tip. When testing, note that it takes very little residual suction, magnetism or contamination on the tip to hold the parts; small parts are light. When testing, I use spray on post-it type of glue to simulate the stickyness of the paste. I've had no real life problem with this but I haven't actually built too many boards with my machine. Maybe some that build boards daily could chime in too?
fgonza2

Post by fgonza2 »

should the sw turn off the pump as well? so you make sure the device is released?
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

No, the vacuum build up and release times would be unbearable. Instead, a three way valve is used. When the valve switches vacuum off, the tip is connected to outside air for fast release. At the same time, the pump builds good negative pressure to the longish tube to the pump, which gives us fast pickup.
fgonza2

Post by fgonza2 »

ok, the vacuum is still to strong, solder paste tension is not enough to "pull it" any guidance on the pick up and release times? what values should i use? any other ideas?

thanks
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

If you have suction on the needle with pump on, vacuum off, the valve is not working.
fgonza2

Post by fgonza2 »

when i press pump off on the basic setup section the vacuum is gone and the part is released. I interpret that like the pump and valve work in manual mode, but not when picking and placing. Any manual commands that i can try in tinyG terminal to confirm this?
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

On the basic setup page, there are check boxes for pump and vacuum. The vacuum on/off is the valve control. Keep pump on; you should be able to control the suction by the vacuum (valve) check box only. You can see in the log window the command that the software sends to control the valve (M something, I'm not in the office to check the details). For the pump there is an M command and small move (TinyG bug workaround).