Exporting the Settings of Liteplacer-Software

caprisonne

Exporting the Settings of Liteplacer-Software

Post by caprisonne »

Hi folks,

we want to export the settings of Juha's original liteplacer software to use it on another PC.

What files have to be transferred to catch all the important settings?

Thanks in advance!
mrandt

Re: Exporting the Settings of Liteplacer-Software

Post by mrandt »

1. Install same LitePlacer version on new computer.
2. Copy installation directory from old computer to USB or other drive.
3. Copy the files into the same location on new computer, overwriting any existing files.

This should work for most settings. If you look at the directory, you can tell what file contains which settings by their names.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

In addition: TinyG settings are stored on board.
Some program settings are stored using windows standard mechanism ( a decision I'm regretting, but that is another story). Transferring those is a bit of work. The settings are stored in a hidden directory <your user name>/app data/LitePlacer something/... I'm not in my office so I can't give you the exact path, I'm writing from memory. Anyway, it is easy to find. Look at the time stamps to identify the actual settings file on both old and new computer. The files are xml data in text format. Copy the settings section from the old to new.
Pixopax

Post by Pixopax »

At my computer it is the folder

C:\Users\-yourusername-\AppData\Local\LitePlacer_Inc._(Kuusama_

(Well chosen name btw ;-)

Now there is a file "user.config" with all the settings.
Copy that folder after installation of the software

If there is no user.config, you will see some cryptical named folder, I have several due to VS-Studio creates one for every build, but you should have just one.
Mine is named "LitePlacer.exe_Url_htu1vlapjtpcgs3v5aqk5tnsroocryil"
Copy this complete folder to the new computer, as otherwise you will miss a lot of your settings, if not all.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

Not sure if copying the folder does the trick, I suspect that the cryptic folder name has a meaning, telling windows what directory to use. Without looking, I can't recall if there is any build depending information in the beginning of the settings file. The meat is the settings xml section inside the file - which as said, you can copy and paste with a text editor.
Pixopax

Post by Pixopax »

I had the problem, that the software makes a new folder with every build. So I always save my xml-file "user.config" and copy it into the new directory to have all my calibrations in the new build.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

Pixopax wrote:I had the problem, that the software makes a new folder with every build. So I always save my xml-file "user.config" and copy it into the new directory to have all my calibrations in the new build.
Are you saying that your settings don't survive a software update? They are supposed to; what is your OS, any significant installation or setup things that might make your system special?
Pixopax

Post by Pixopax »

Normal Windows 7 64 bit, nothing special.