Nozzle Upgrade kit from Liteplacer

Covert

Nozzle Upgrade kit from Liteplacer

Post by Covert »

Mine arrived today. Building experience was nice and easy. I didn't find instructions for building the head/shaft part but it mostly followed the old one.

Holder building was easy with clear instructions already available. Didn't take long at all.

Software and instructions for setting up the needles needs work. Finally got the first one loading and unloading. Should be easy to repeat for the other 5 needles. The usage of the "you need to add 0.5 for a correction." was not clear for me but trial and error sorted it out.

It's also not clear what each move is trying to achieve and hard to then now what to set it for on my machine (moves in the needle change tables)

Z moves seem absolute and XY moves are relative in the move table for needles. This was not clear.

This should save me a lot of time in the long run. Can't wait to test it on a full panel.

Anyone else got the upgrade kit ? Experience so far ?

I totally understand this kit is brand new and full instructions need work and time to complete.
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Nozzle Upgrade kit from Liteplacer

Post by JuKu »

Thank you for feedback, I'll try to improve the documentation. Please note that I released new software today: Much more accurate nozzle calibration, more stable.
Covert

Re: Nozzle Upgrade kit from Liteplacer

Post by Covert »

Today started of good and went bad. Got the nozzle switching working really well. It's a great mod. The new nozzle has very little play. I see why it doesn't need re-calibration on every run. Once I got past the getting the nozzle working and having the machine work it all started to go bad. I forgot how much different rmod and also the changes I made to make my machine run well.

First of all if something goes wrong there are 2-6 dialog boxes to click through before you can hit the reconnect and start again. My changes detected a critical fault that caused a halt and ignored the rest of the messages.

Having the upward facing camera at a fixed distance meant I had to re-seat my camera deeper into the table, rmod allowed to enter a needle height.

No auto calibration of cameras like in rmod.

Needle-Camera clibration. My custom needle to blue-tack on table, move camera to point, wait user input on marked position in the blue-tack I missed. Legacy code seems to have a default it moves that is no where near my down camera location.

There is a back off when detecting part location. This is hard coded from memory. I changed source to make the back-off closer to my table/needle travel.

I had a few crashes with the head from starting a process before homing was done. There is no check before moving if homing has been completed.

I miss my quick home that would home z then right to optical homing. Skipping limit switches.

Do Tape positions have calibration like in rmod ? I can't find it. Got one tape running.

Once needle code is done I might look at including it into rmod and pushing it out with my changes so others can share in it.

Many times I would crash the head by going past -0 (upwards) while trying to get various things to work.

For now I'll run rmod with manual need change.

I forgot how much of a chore it can be to set a machine up from scratch.

I see liteplacer source is on git and updated regularly . I'll also consider branching of that to make things easy to merge upstream if wanted/needed.