issue with rotation motor

fgonza2

issue with rotation motor

Post by fgonza2 »

Hi All, my rotation mottor seems to have issues. Tried the limiting pot on the tinyG with minimal impact, any ideas?

https://youtu.be/y2nMJVPJtAo

Thanks a lot,

Felipe
sebastian

Re: issue with rotation motor

Post by sebastian »

Please grab a multimeter and measure the resistance in each cable pair?
Also check if the cable pairs have no connectivity to each other with the multimeter.
www.apertus.org
building a community driven free software & open hardware digital cinema camera
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

In general, troubleshooting the motor goes like this:
- Check the pairs: The four fires are two pairs, and we expect to find a few Ohms resistance on a pair and no conductivity from one pair to another.
- Check the wiring. Try to pull out the wires from the screw terminals to ensure a good contact.
- Turn the motor by hand. There should be some resistance, but not much.
- Check the current limiting pot. A motor with no load should turn with almost minimum current. (Current limit at full minimum might be too little.)
- Check if the motor is hot. A motor at standstill put powered on may run warm, but not hot. A failure mode on a stepper motor is a short in the windings, causing melting of insulation, causing more shorts etc, resulting to a hot and non-functional motor.
- If you know how to command TinyG directly, check with another channel to know if it is the motor or the driver.

That said, this looks like a bad motor. It tries to turn, so wiring is most likely correct. (I handle replacement by email.)
fgonza2

Post by fgonza2 »

i forgot to mention, i checked the coils and resistance and it's good, i can see resistance on each pair and no resistance across pairs. So the coils are not blown at least and there is no short between coils. I also swapped the motor temporarily to the Z channel and got the same exact behavior. So it is not the tinyG controller that is blown which is good news. Swapped the wiring between coils to rule out a wiring issue with no success. Mechanically, the motor moves when you turn the axis, so nothing obvious there either. I guess something is wrong with the motor inside. Any other ideas?

Does anyone knows where to buy this motor in the U.S? that particular configuration seems hard to find. thanks