Build Journal and Photos

Elasia

Build Journal and Photos

Post by Elasia »

Thought I would start a journal as I am now getting to the more interesting bits

Base Table I made, material is a single sheet of 3/4 MDF, one 3/4 countertop and then the rest forming 9 inch or so supports. This sits counter levered and is held in place by heavy workout weights i scavenged off some old junk.

Matting is Bertech High Temp ESD material and will be neatly trimmed out with aluminum angle as soon as i get around to setting up my miter saw for the cuts. I got a little sloppy when cutting the mat, normally im much more careful but since this would be hidden by the trim pieces, I wasnt to bothered. I may also go back and annodize all the aluminum puts too.... maybe like a dykem red or blue. I would also spray paint the sheet metal with say this stuff

Next I need to cut a hole in the side for power and usb. All the top side wiring will go under the table through the grommet hole in the back right. This will leave a clean presentation. I will also be making daughter pcb boards using my voltera to deal with the two loose fets as well as mount ferite beads onto for all single wiring to pass through. This will cut down on noise getting back to the controller. I may in the future make a normal pcb design of this or flat out put in a custom controller. If I do that I will post it openly on https://hackaday.io/.
Elasia

Re: Build Journal and Photos

Post by Elasia »

Update:

Actually completed the build about a week ago, just havent had time to upload pics. Went smoothly other than running into odd homing behavior thats covered on other threads... certainly made nozzle change alignment interesting..

I think i will be doing the following mods once my prusa is built

1. hexagon up camera thats posted here, will start with one but most likely add another and make it more like a pill shape
2. limit switches change to proximity sensors; not a big fan on the current switches especially on the z and x, y is ok and fixed, i'll be doing the same for at least x and put the sensors on the bar instead of the trolley
3. custom pcbs to match some of the sheet metal plates and the tinyg board:
1st will put a pcb at the top between the solenoid and plate, this will terminate z axis, (optional x axis), camera lighting (bucked to 12V from 24V, may add selector jumper), solenoid power;
2nd pcb at the x axis motor; most likely match the plate, will terminate (optional x axis)
3rd pcb at the vacuum pump / y axis motor, not sure where to mount it yet, will terminate y axis switches and the vacuum pump power
4th pcb daughter card for the tinyg, this will break all the signals back out for it

This will change all control into a single multi wire that is just 2 wires for power, and 2 wires for comm bus running between 250kHz to 1.5MHz; also will put pads on for stepper/motor controllers; potentially replace the tinyg all together with a firmware update and a smaller controller device. I also think I will be adding current sensors as well for each coil, the backemf can do alternate overrun protection (power draw is either full on stuck, knocking from banging into an axis, or too low a draw, etc) , also can be used to detect belt tension when calibrated.. this one might actually be pretty handy with that dubious zip tie configuration.. make it easier to get it right

And now for pics

Finished product, its alive
https://giant.gfycat.com/SoulfulConventionalHusky.webm

More pics

https://imgur.com/a/Na9jx8k