Question about the vacuum pickup system

EL34

Question about the vacuum pickup system

Post by EL34 »

looking at the BOM, I see there is a 3 way air solenoid valve

In the closed position, the vacuum just sucks air from the open solenoid valve
In the open position the pick up hose is then connected to the pickup pick up parts

Does the vacuum motor run all the time?
I am assuming that is the case because it would take too long to stop and start the vacuum motor and get it up to a proper vacuum level?

Just curious how the vacuum system works?

Thanks
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Question about the vacuum pickup system

Post by JuKu »

The pump runs all the time when a job runs. When the valve is closed, the pump builds vacuum to the tube, forming a vacuum reservoir. When the valve opens (“vacuum on”), the nozzle tip is connected to the tube and pump. The reservoir ensures that the part can be picked up almost immediately, we don’t need to wait for the vacuum to form. When the part is released, the valve connects the nozzle to outside air, quickly releasing the vacuum.
EL34

Post by EL34 »

JuKu wrote:The pump runs all the time when a job runs. When the valve is closed, the pump builds vacuum to the tube, forming a vacuum reservoir. When the valve opens (“vacuum on”), the nozzle tip is connected to the tube and pump. The reservoir ensures that the part can be picked up almost immediately, we don’t need to wait for the vacuum to form. When the part is released, the valve connects the nozzle to outside air, quickly releasing the vacuum.
Ok Thanks
Just curious why a 3 way valve?

Wouldn't a simple two way valve work?
Either open or closed?

Closed = vacuum from pump is closed off
Open = vacuum can proceed to the nozzle

The reason I ask is because I already have a pump and a two way valve :)
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

You need to release the vacuum in the nozzle. If your valve is a simple on/off, the connection of the part to the nozzle is airtight and you have no leaks, the part doesn’t release. Even if the pump is not refreshing the vacuum, the residual vacuum in the nozzle stays. You need a three way valve to let go of the part.

In other words: You need a valve with three ports: one goes to the nozzle and it is connected either to the vacuum or to outside air.
EL34

Post by EL34 »

JuKu wrote:You need to release the vacuum in the nozzle. If your valve is a simple on/off, the connection of the part to the nozzle is airtight and you have no leaks, the part doesn’t release. Even if the pump is not refreshing the vacuum, the residual vacuum in the nozzle stays. You need a three way valve to let go of the part.

In other words: You need a valve with three ports: one goes to the nozzle and it is connected either to the vacuum or to outside air.
Ahh, ok, I see that now

So the 3rd port opens up when the valve closes off the vacuum pump connection

Makes sense to me now
Thanks for the info Juka