v-wheel "tire residue"?

psychogenic

v-wheel "tire residue"?

Post by psychogenic »

Aloha,

I've never used these v-wheel systems and am noticing a bit of black residue on the aluminium track after several back-and-forths. Not tons, but enough to stain a paper towel when I rub it off.

Is this normal? Is it a sign of misalignment or of excessive tension or something else I should address?

Thanks!
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: v-wheel "tire residue"?

Post by JuKu »

I haven’t seen this, so I’m kind of speculating. It could be slight misalignment, in which case I would think the wheel would wear to suit the track (hopefully). Or it might be just some residue from manufacturing. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry about it right now, but please keep an eye on it, and if this develops to a problem, we’ll diagnose, fix and replace the faulty parts.
psychogenic

Post by psychogenic »

Ok, I vote for manufacturing gunk. Have cleaned both the tracks and the groove in the wheels and will keep an eye and report on the situation if it recurs.

Thanks
ds23man

Post by ds23man »

I have the same problem.
johnswenson1

Post by johnswenson1 »

I had the same problem ever since I built mine. It turns out it was caused by a slight misalignment, the fix in the Backlash and Slack Compensation thread fixed the problem. No more residue.

John S.
psychogenic

Post by psychogenic »

I'm not clear on how backlash compensation could help with skew, but I'm glad it helped.

In my case, the original problem went away, so it seems it was manufacturing gunk. Main issue now is that the wheels are dust magnets (static, I guess), so I have to use the magic of q-tips periodically to clean them out.
santosp

Post by santosp »

I have the same problem from the first day. Mainly in the Y axis. It looks like a little bit of eating the wheels.
I also have something like an imperceptible scar during its movement of gantry. I thought to loose a little the eccentric spacers, but then wheels will slide.

I must find the thread here, which someone found better wheels and bearings I think!? :roll: