CNC_BlockingWrite: Timeout on Command

Covert

CNC_BlockingWrite: Timeout on Command

Post by Covert »

Trying to get Liteplacer software to run for the first time. On initial connect I get an error "CNC_BlockingWrite: Timeout on Command {"sr";""}

I also get the error when press "Reset all build in Defaults" button.

I can successfully send commands to the TinyG via the "text to send" input.

Successfully install the FTDI drivers from the software page. Still got the same problem.
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: CNC_BlockingWrite: Timeout on Command

Post by JuKu »

Please see "Communications Troubleshooting" at http://www.liteplacer.com/basic-setup/. If that doesn't immediately help, send me the log window content.
Covert

Post by Covert »

Thanks. I got it working after doing more worse than good. While trying to update the firmware I manged to completely stop the TinyG from responding except for the bootloader. I was unable to reload the firmware fro the TinyG update tool or Arduino set as ISP.

I ended up getting a AVRISP-MKII from a local company that got it to me overnight. It allowed me to load the firmware back. After some more stuffing around I finally got it talking to the liteplacer software properly. Now I can move onto the next stage of inital setup.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

You are not supposed to have to do a TinyG firmware update, but since you did, what version did you use? The software is tested on 438.02, it might well work with newer, but I know it does not fully work with anything older.
Covert

Post by Covert »

440 but I can go back to any version now. Thanks for the info on firmware version. I'll take the firmware version into account if I have any problems and downgrade if needed.
RMM

Post by RMM »

I just got my machine finished up and installed the x64 drivers from the FTDI website. I am also experiencing the same error when I open the LitePlacer program. The TinyG turns on and initializes with the flashing red light and constant blue light, and Windows does recognize it on Com 5.

Also, I am able to communicate with the TinyG via the CoolTerminal program.

The device does show connected for a few seconds after first opening the program, but then pops up the error. Typing "sys" in the "text to send" window gives the following error: "###sys discarded, com not open".

Here is the text in the log window when opening:
Application Start
Version: 1.0.5742.27615, build date: 9/21/2015 3:20:30 PM
==>
==> {"sr":""}
{r:{sr:{posx:0.000,posy:0.000,posz:0.000,posa:0.000,feed:0.00,vel:0.00,unit:1,coor:0,dist:0,frmo:1,stat:1}},f:[1,0,10,8141]}

{sr:{posx:0.000,posy:0.000,posz:0.000,posa:0.000,feed:0.00,vel:0.00,unit:1,coor:0,dist:0,frmo:1,stat:1}}
I also receive this error in the log sometimes:
########## System.IO.IOException: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count, Int32 timeout)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at LitePlacer.SerialComm.DataReceived(Object sender, SerialDataReceivedEventArgs e)
Windows 7 64-Bit SP1. Lenovo Thinkpad T510.

Did yours start working after the firmware update? I have tried reinstalling the driver and restarting the machine / TinyG several times. I also tried a few versions of the LitePlacer software and the error is the same.
Spikee

Post by Spikee »

I just had the same problem, used the tiny g update thingy to the latest version and now it works perfect.
RMM

Post by RMM »

Spikee wrote:I just had the same problem, used the tiny g update thingy to the latest version and now it works perfect.
Thanks! I also updated and got it working, but now the program crashes intermittently. I am not sure exactly what causes it because it isn't always at the same time. I do not believe that it is USB interference. I may try and downgrade to the recommended firmware on the TinyG.
RMM

Post by RMM »

Just a quick update: I downgraded the firmware to 438.02 and the random crashing seems to have stopped. I am now having a few other issues that I can't seem to figure out, but I'll start another thread about those.
Knas

Post by Knas »

I had a bunch of timeouts happening, it seems to have something to do with the fact that TinyG doesn't report back in the usual way if you try to move an axis to the position it's already at. I changed the code to ignore any movements to the current axis position and my timeouts seem to be gone.