Table Options

Michael297

Table Options

Post by Michael297 »

I've just received my kit and getting ready to start the build. I've been exploring different table options, T-slot etc.
Then I came across
https://www.amazon.com/Gridmann-48-Inch ... dpSrc=srch

Any opinions on whether this would make a good build platform or not?

Thanks,
Mike
mawa

Re: Table Options

Post by mawa »

:twisted: Have you ever tried to drill stainless steel?

I would not recommend using such a table because you need to set several holes to fix the machine not to mention the hole for the up looking camera.

Malte has shown a nice table here in the forum and I for myself am using a cheap small sized white desk from a Swedish furniture house with four letters. ;)

Although it at first looks like solid wood the desktop is in fact a paper comb structure with a MDF like top and bottom sheet.
You can easily cut holes into it and the sheets are hard enough to use sheet metal screws to fix the machine parts. The "legs" are also very sturdy and the table stands rock solid.

Keep in mind to have all component relevant parts (PCB, Tray tops, feeders) at the same z level to assure good camera accuracy.

As my feeders have a 10mm height off the table top I added a 10mm thick enforcement to the PCB holding area.

If you intend to just fix the cut tapes to the table top like Juha you of course do not need such a level compensation.
best regards
Manfred
mwtucker

Post by mwtucker »

It says below that "Malte" posted about a table....I can't find that post?

I'm thinking about a surface (maybe pre-formed kitchen countertops) that would hold the LitePlacer but could be placed on an existing surface (e.g. a work table or workbench). This would be instead of having legs. Not sure yet what size I need....pre-formed countertop may be too small.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
mwtucker

Post by mwtucker »

I found Malte's post....I was looking for a username "Malte".

I read about the stainless steel tabletop... what alloy and what finish works best? I know certain alloys are not magnetic. Also there are brushed and mirror finishes. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike