what are the disadvantages of a one-plate gantry?

WayOutWest

what are the disadvantages of a one-plate gantry?

Post by WayOutWest »

Hi, I've located a shop in the US that will laser-cut small runs of steel at a reasonable price, and I'd like to start customizing my Liteplacer. Big thanks to Juha for being willing to make the DXF's available. Aside: they can only cut 1.0mm steel, not 1.5mm -- but for the low-force plates in the gantry (not like the X/Y motor plates, for example) this shouldn't be a problem, right?

One of the more major changes I want to try is moving to a HiWin linear bearing for the Z-axis, and perhaps a double-head setup (as many previous designs display you can get a second head "for free" if you don't need both to be "down" at the same time).

The current Liteplacer design uses a pair of makerslides for the X-axis, and a pair of steel plates (one on each side of the makerslides) for the gantry. One reason for this is that it provides a secure, well-centered place to mount the very powerful and long-stroke threaded-rod stepper for the Z-axis.

Assuming that it was not necessary to mount the Z-stepper this way, is there a big reason not to eliminate the back steel plate and one of the X-axis makerslides? This would result in the gantry riding on a single makerslide using four V-wheels the same way the (current) Z-axis makerslide rides. I figure if it works for the Z-axis it should work for the X-axis too, no? This would also let me lay a much larger dragchain along the X-axis; right now I'm constrained by it having to fit in the small hole between the makerslides and the bottom face of the Z-stepper. I also wouldn't have nearly so much weight hanging off the front gantry, pulling it away from the makerslides.

My plan is to then mount a HiWin rail on the remaining front plate and use a much weaker, much shorter-stroke drive for the Z-axis, maybe even a simple hobby servo or one of those ubiquitous DVD-drive-head steppers. I'm already limited to about 30mm of Z-travel due to a mistake I made in one of my other customizations (long story), so I know I can live with a much shorter Z-travel.
- Adam
Mark Harris

Re: what are the disadvantages of a one-plate gantry?

Post by Mark Harris »

I dont know that a DVD motor would have enough torque to lift the head?
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

The stability of the gantry would suffer, I think. Looking the system sideways, there is rather little in the V wheels preventing the gantry rocking clockwise and anticlockwise.
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

JuKu wrote:The stability of the gantry would suffer, I think. Looking the system sideways, there is rather little in the V wheels preventing the gantry rocking clockwise and anticlockwise.
Thanks, sounds reasonable, but why isn't this a problem for the Z-axis?
- Adam
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

Because it is supported by the stepper motor shaft. Besides, the weight is smaller.
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Please forgive me for being so dumb about mechanical issues... I am learning here... :)

I completely understand what you mean about the back gantry plate preventing rotation around the X-axis.

The analogous problem for the Z-makerslide, which has no similar secondary gantry+vwheels, would be rotation about the Z-axis (not the threaded shaft -- the makerslide). I'm still confused about why this doesn't happen.
JuKu wrote:Because it is supported by the stepper motor shaft.
But that support is coupled through only the three rubber posts, which do not prevent rotation about the Z-axis...

http://www.liteplacer.com/the-machine/a ... motor-nut/

... have I misunderstood how all of this works?
Besides, the weight is smaller.
Ah, okay, I think I understand this... in the rotation-around-the-X-axis case you have to worry about the static load of the Z-makerslide's weight, which is always pulling on the gantry. In the rotation-around-the-Z-axis-case there is no similar load; in fact you really shouldn't ever encounter significant forces like that (this is a pick and place, not a CNC). This makes more sense.

I'm currently most tempted to move to a mounting scheme where the Z-stepper is mounted almost directly above the head's center of gravity, like the image below from the OpenPNP list and can be shifted in the positive-Y direction to counterbalance the weight of the pickup head. So I'm starting to think that I can get away with only one makerslide as long as the head's center of gravity is directly above the V-wheels. I'm probably wrong, but mistakes are how you learn... :)
Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 12.43.43 PM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 12.43.43 PM.jpeg (36.32 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
- Adam