How to improve up cam image contrast

mawa

How to improve up cam image contrast

Post by mawa »

I had difficulties to get the up cam needle recognition work properly.

My image looked similar to Juhas image in his instructions. http://www.liteplacer.com/setup-uplooki ... rocessing/

The black needle shade was more a medium gray than a dark or black gray. With the result that the surface was not completely filtered out by the threshold.

The problem was that the threshold had to be around 250 to get a almost acceptable result.

I tried reducing the camera brightness with Rezas version. But that also made the needle circle gray.

Analyzing the problem ,I found out that the USB cameras have an automatic exposure. When the overall brightness is low it pulls up the exposure. Just like all digital cameras do. With the result that black becomes gray. Because the down cam is look at the white table surface black is black.

Now the solution:

I covered the up cam hole with a white piece of paper with an approx. 2x2mm hole in the center!

That leads to a lower amplification and to a significantly darker black. The threshold value for the needle recognition could be reduced to 60!!!

BTW: the needle shade is misshaped. It should be a little bit larger to hide the red shrink tubing.

Her you can see the difference:
Before and after applying the white cover
Before and after applying the white cover
2015-07-27 09_08_29-CameraView.png (928.62 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
best regards
Manfred
mrandt

Re: How to improve up cam image contrast

Post by mrandt »

I solved the contrast issues I was facing with upward camera by using red LED instead of white.

Also, I use a 3D printed shade (black ABS, bottom sanded with very fine grained sandpaper to appear matte) on the nozzle instead of paper / cardboard which works great so far.
Covert

Post by Covert »

Doesn't the CameraExposure Filter in Rezas version override this ? The main reason I changed to his version.

Red LED's. I'm going to try that..
mawa

Post by mawa »

Covert wrote:Doesn't the CameraExposure Filter in Rezas version override this ? The main reason I changed to his version.
Either I did not set the right values or my USB cam does not react.

How are the parameters for exposure ? Because Brightness just make the image gray / dimm.
best regards
Manfred