Again, another feeder design

jarekk

Re: Again, another feeder design

Post by jarekk »

Spikee wrote: Got conformation that the top connector is a stepper and the tape peeler is a dc motor.
These can be bought without owning the machine.
Tomorrow ( once I get to work) I will put some pictures of my design - actually it is quite simple to to the things yourself.
I use CNC machined acryl, aluminium encoding wheel and optocoupler.

With that ready made solution I do not see any positioning.
Spikee

Post by Spikee »

neoden4 does the position via up looking camera for each device. It does not do any position adjustment in the feeder.
As far as i know the liteplacer does now also look with the down looking camera at the position of the passive.

Neoden uses this for all methods, 0201 etc.. and it works fine.
jarekk

Post by jarekk »

Spikee wrote: and it works fine.
That for sure - just slower. But it does not matter much I guess.
I have seen here some pictures even for transparent tapes - and it was still ok (surpisingly).

I use 90 deg micro engine which pulls cover tape ( like Volker Besmens in his machine), so I cannot rely much on the camera (as it would be too slow to catch reliably moving tape).
But if you drive the tape directly then it is ok.
Knas

Post by Knas »

Okay guys i feel that i've verified that this design works really quite well, i have 25 feeders placing about 150 resistors per board in total and i've done 5 boards so far. Misalignment and missed component errors that are due to actual feeder issues seems to be minimal, so i feel it's ready. I'm sorry this is taking so long but i really didn't want to put anything out there that doesn't work, also i pretty much work all the time so it's hard to find the time to sit down and do documentation.

Right now the designs are all in cambam format, a proprietary 2d format for cnc routing. I can make DXFs or export to STL via OpenSCam which creates a STL render of a simulated router run. Or i can probably figure something else out. What kind of formats do you guys want?

-Karl
mrandt

Post by mrandt »

Hi Karl,

sounds great - thank you for all the hard work. I know that a lot of effort goes into stuff like this so I do appreciate your willingness to share!

For me, DXF is fine but almost any vector format would do. Could you include a very short list of what material and thickness you have cut each part from?

I would take on the task of turning the 2D files into a 3D model in Cubify / Alibre / Geomagic then - and export STEP for other CAD.

Best regards
Malte
Knas

Post by Knas »

mrandt wrote:For me, DXF is fine but almost any vector format would do. Could you include a very short list of what material and thickness you have cut each part from?

I would take on the task of turning the 2D files into a 3D model in Cubify / Alibre / Geomagic then - and export STEP for other CAD.
Cool! I'm making a little addition to my website rn outlining all the parts, showing basic functionality / design concept etc. If you'd allow me to include whatever 3d files you generate i would appreciate it as i may quite well not have the time to do this myself for some time.

-karl
mrandt

Post by mrandt »

Knas wrote:
mrandt wrote:If you'd allow me to include whatever 3d files you generate i would appreciate it as i may quite well not have the time to do this myself for some time.
Absolutely, yes.

Looking forward to your files.

P.S.: Where can I find your homepage? ;-)
Spikee

Post by Spikee »

I can also convert to solidworks or autodesk fusion360 (great + free!)

some googeling:
http://www.knasmusic.com/index.php
Knas

Post by Knas »

Hey guys, sorry it took me a while to get this together - and even so i never managed to make perfect files. You can find downloads and a writeup here
http://www.knasmusic.com/diyeverything/ ... eeders.php, gerber and STL files for the 8mm paper feeder can be downloaded at the bottom. The STL files are direct exports from the OpenSCAM simulation software and will need to be cleaned up, i just didn't have time to do it. Please let me know if anything is unclear and if you manage to build some / have any issues1
That's me :)

-karl
Spikee

Post by Spikee »

If there is interest it might be smart to outsource a few parts.

Case can be 3d printed, the "flat" metal parts can be laser / water jet cutted.
The gear needs to be machined? Of course there should be some kick back to the designer. This is probably still in beta so there is some acceptable risk.