Machine conversion

jegb

Machine conversion

Post by jegb »

Has anybody tried replacing the sw and brains for the machine?

Seems that other opensource projects have additional features, in my wish list :
-paste dispenser
-part feeder/tray system
-better repeateability and stability of the computer vision
-framing /pcb support
-linux

https://www.vbesmens.de/en/pick-and-place.html was interesting I am sure many users know about it, came to my ind.

I am looking also at users that abandoned the machine out of frustration, to give some avenue not to be forced to resell the kit at a loss or even leaving it collecting dust.

Repurposing the mechanical kit and adding 3d printed parts for the mods may be an feasible avenue to pursue. I am sure that if Juha would publish CAD project for others to contribute there may still be a possibility to enhance and continue using it on more ways than one, would it make sense to add it here ? https://github.com/jkuusama/LitePlacer-DEV
mrandt

Re: Machine conversion

Post by mrandt »

Hi and welcome.
jegb wrote:Has anybody tried replacing the sw and brains for the machine?
Some people use LitePlacer with Jason von Nieda's OpenPNP. The TinyG controller could be pretty much controlled by anything - but don't underestimate the complexity of a PnP software...
jegb wrote:Seems that other opensource projects have additional features, in my wish list :
-paste dispenser
-part feeder/tray system
-better repeateability and stability of the computer vision
-framing /pcb support
-linux
Many of these are possible with LitePlacer and a little effort.

- Paste dispensing IMHO does not make any sense. Stencils are cheap (laser cut from mylar or steel) and yield MUCH better results. Try to solder a QFN no leads package with 0.4 or smaller pitch with dispensed paste - good luck. But if you wanted it, nothing is stopping you from adding a syringe and some compressor control to a liteplacer.

- We have quite a few attempts at 3D printed trays on the forum and you can always design your own. There are also promising developments for feeders in the community and you could always buy a 3rd party feeder, e.g. Protovoltaics one or from a big commercial SMT manufacturer.

- What is wrong with current vision system? Have you tried it? Also, it is making great progress in two forks of the software.

- What do you mean by framing / pcb support?

- Linux - well you got a point there. Software is all C# and *might* compile on Linux, I currently only use it on Windows. You need a dedicated computer for the PnP anyway.
jegb wrote:I am looking also at users that abandoned the machine out of frustration, to give some avenue not to be forced to resell the kit at a loss or even leaving it collecting dust.
Not sure we have anyone in the community who does not like his / her LitePlacer :D
jegb wrote:Repurposing the mechanical kit and adding 3d printed parts for the mods may be an feasible avenue to pursue. I am sure that if Juha would publish CAD project for others to contribute there may still be a possibility to enhance and continue using it on more ways than one, would it make sense to add it here ?
Why would I repurpose it? It does what it is supposed to do - populate PCBs for me...

Also, the hardware already is open source - get the CAD files from here:
http://www.liteplacer.com/wp-content/up ... -final.zip

I think LitePlacer works well as a prototoype PnP machine and in this regard is more advanced than any other OpenSource PnP project. Buy a kit, assemble it following detailed instructions, use it - bam.

If you want to enhance it, go ahead - software and hardware are open source and there is a ton of smart ideas already implemented and shared on this forum already.

Afterall, I am not sure what your intentions are. Collecting inspiration for your own project? Thinking about buying a machine kit? Just trolling around?

Please let us know ;)
mawa

Re: Machine conversion

Post by mawa »

@jegb:

Well as it seems jegb you not yet bought or built the kit.

As it's not preassembled every buyer should look into the mirror and ask himself "Do I have the mechanical skill to assemble and adjust such a machine?" before he orders the kit.

I have only average mechanical skills as my hobby is electronics and rc model airplanes.

I took my time studied and followed Juhas excellent pictured instructions step by step and my Liteplacer worked very well from the first minute. I didn't even have to set square correction because I carefully measured right angles from the very beginning.

Yes, you have to take time to adjust some of parameters like the video pixel/cm ratio and nozzle to down cam distance. mrandt and others here have given additional advice on how this should be done.

You can see my machine here: http://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109

Compared with the very few alternative kits (redfrog) Liteplacer has an IMHO excellent price performance ratio and should ONLY be seen as it was intended by Juha namely as a low cost prototyping and low volume production machine.

So I have a problem to understand where the problems some of the users have come from.

Yes,the software can be improved and is being improved by several users in the forum.

I for instance am working on a total rework of a merge of juhas and rezas versions with a more task driven user interface in near future based partially on mrandts UI suggestions and some of volker besmens PP4 program features including package->footprint->tape->repository tray and Project->job/component group->component->project tray/tape scheme plus a graphical footprint editor, an animated PCB display á la VBesmens plus an interactive project tray / locations display (resembles an interactive top view of the machine) and a dockable camera window with buttons, log and camera filter setup. I want to use and test my version extensively before I publish it here in this forum.

Finally allow me to address the constantly demanded "linux" ability and your
using it on more ways than one
issue:

. You really should consider using a dedicated PC to run the machine in your workshop. Can be a "simple windows 7" type PC. Just turn it on and start the P&p program. Linux will give you no added value here. The software itself is developed using windows tools (visual studio), so those who, like I, want to "hack" the sw can put the IDE on that PC too.

redfrog for instance has a mother board built in and that is what I will probably consider of doing too. Why?
When the machine is running its intended to run like a dishwasher: do its work and give notice when its finished. Then you re-flow the board. So your skillet, pizza or Chinese re-flow oven or vapor soldering basin should be near the machine to easily and safely transport the ready to solder PCB to the next production step. Like my CNC milling machine I will put the soldering device in a separate, well ventilated room, because I do not want to sit in that environment with dust, noise or toxic vapors from the soldering paste. Using remote desktop you can check the current Liteplacer progress from a quiet and safe place if you connect that dedicated PC to you LAN or WLAN infrastructure.
best regards
Manfred