SPL from the steppers

lilltroll

SPL from the steppers

Post by lilltroll »

How noisy is the machine?

I have no experience with steppers, (but I can for sure relate to any common measures of sound-pressure levels), but maybe it is easier to describe it relative a ink-jet printer.
Before I found LitePlacer, I and a friend considered building our own PnP with BLDC motors. My friend has both a CNC-router and a CNC-Lathe so we can make any Al-parts.
I know a lot regarding electro-acoustics, DSP and control, but not much regarding image processing. My friend works as a professional as a control system engineer.

Since LitePlacer it is open source, a BLDC tweak should be possible in the future, but I appreciate a proven/working foundation for a PnP machine and some working image processing + GUI.
Also other users that adds their input and knowledge.
I know myself that you shouldn't underestimate the time it takes to develop functional software, and I do not want to wait for 5 years of in house development.

For me , the Open Source is a 100% MUST!

But back to sound pressure levels with steppers, can I use the machine in my apartment without my neighbors trying to kill me ?
I rent an office as well, but I'm not alone at the place.
The alternative would be to place the machine at my office and run the machine after common working hours.
I have all my other stuff as PCB-microscope, soldering equippment etc at my office.
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: SPL from the steppers

Post by JuKu »

> I have all my other stuff as PCB-microscope, soldering equippment etc at my office.

For this, it makes much more sense to have the machine in the office. However, it is not silent, louder than an ink jet; a microwave would be a more appropriate comparison, but it is more annoying because the sound isn't constant. You don't need to raise your voice for a conversation when it is running, so I doubt neighbors would be annoyed in an apartment. If your co-workers tolerate a radio during work hours, they should tolerate this as well.