Needles Change

Yshiron

Needles Change

Post by Yshiron »

Pixopax

Re: Needles Change

Post by Pixopax »

That is pretty much the same thing as I built :-)
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

I'm trying to develop an add-on product based on the same ideas. the Panasonic-type nozzles and machine head are affordable and available, and the LitePlacer can be adapted for this. The nozzle holder takes some thinking. Pixopax build a very good starting point, http://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... t=40#p2023. In fact, the images and the video got me started on this. Thank you very much for inspiration!

The holder needs some thinking. The basic holder is simple. As Pixopax did, it is only three plates. However, I'm a bit concerned about vibrations. After all, the holder is bolted on the bed of a moving machine, so it is possible that without some kind of holding mechanism, a nozzle may shift out of position. there is not too much tolerance for the head, and if the nozzle is not right under it when it comes down, it fails and may even break something. In the video there is a copper bar that keeps the nozzles in place. That is clever, but somehow, I'm not convinced about that as a production solution.

Better ideas anybody?
mrandt

Post by mrandt »

I was thinking about making pockets in which the nozzles can sit.

Quick drawing:
nozzle_change.png
nozzle_change.png (5.09 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
Would require slightly different movement when changing nozzle:

1. Center holder above nozzle
2. Move Z down and connect nozzle
3. Move Z up by 2mm
4. Move in X (or Y) direction to slide nozzle out of tool holder

What do you think?
Pixopax

Post by Pixopax »

I changed my holder and put a few magnets on one side, these keep the nozzles in place ;-)

But Maltes Idea is maybe better, as the magnets could nmagnetize the nozzles, which we do not want to happen.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

Malte wins so far. :) Besides, the nozzles I have are made from plastic of some sort, magnets don't work.
Pixopax

Post by Pixopax »

Mine are out of steel.

Maltes solution will be easy to make, just a slice of 1.5mm Material more with the larg holes in it.

I will give it a try as soon as I have more time.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

I found a source for steel nozzles; here is what I came up with:
http://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=376
Pixopax

Post by Pixopax »

This looks good! And almost like my changer :-) Seems as my idea was a good one.
Do you have magnets to keep the nozzles in place? I never had problems with that, but you never know, if a nozzle slips out a bit you get a crash.

Also, do you disable the nozzle probe switch in the software when changing nozzles?
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

> Seems as my idea was a good one.

It was, indeed; thank you for the inspiration!

> Do you have magnets to keep the nozzles in place?

Yes. I was afraid of vibrations shifting a nozzle out of place. If that would happen the Z would come down hard (see below) and something would brake.

> Also, do you disable the nozzle probe switch in the software when changing nozzles?

Yes, I have to. The force needed for nozzle change is much bigger than the probe switch. On the video, you can see an additional tube collar that keeps tjhe tube going up during loading of a nozzle.